Sunday, March 22, 2009

Farewell to Friends and Family


My son, Austin, is 19. He is going to serve an LDS Mission to Argentina, Cordoba for two years. He leaves for his mission April 8, 2009. Today was his farewell. He spoke in Sacrament Meeting on the topic of judging others. Afterward friends and family, met for a luncheon at the Mapleton City Center to celebrate and honor Austin as he embarks upon this great service for the church. Austin is full of life and loves people. He has always had a large following of friends. I doubt it will be any different on his mission. He is the first to go on a mission out of his friends. He has been a good example and has planted good seeds along the way. He has withstood many temptations and overcome obstacles that buckle most men. He has been saved for such a time as this and is ready to serve his Father in Heaven. I have no doubt he will serve an honorable mission and return with honor.
My thoughts are of gratitude and humility as I think about his growing up years and becoming the man he is today. As well, my thoughts turn to family and friends who have loved him and been there for him through out his life. Of course there is mine and Todd's family and the support that they are. "Cookies for the poor" from Grandma Richmond, many, many family functions where their love was felt and seen in so may ways. Michael and Ben, his cousins, have been tremendous friends as well as cousins. You just can't find any better. Austin's friends--his brothers from other mothers, Bryce, Chris and Tucker have been faithful friends through thick and thin. I don't think they realize the good friends they have been. Friends like that are more valuable than diamonds or gold. And of course the other mother to whom I am eternally grateful for opening her home to Austin, treating him as her own, feeding him, disciplining him, and sharing her patience and love with him--Janae Austin who is Chris and Tucker's mom. I really could not have raised him to be such a fine young man if it wasn't for her. You too Bryant! Thank you so much.
God bless you Austin on your mission. Love, Mom



Austin, in the middle, with the red tie with all his friends. Notice all the cute girls hanging around him. Oh, what a sacrifice it is to go on a mission!

The other brothers from the other mothers! Bryce, Austin and Chris.
Hey! Where is Tucker?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you do too, but I miss him already. Though I don't live with him, knowing he won't be around is sad, and good. You've done such a good job raising him, I know I'll be amazed at how much he's grown while he's gone; because I was amazed at how much he'd grown while he was home! Love You Guys.

    ReplyDelete